How Social Media is Changing the News
Scott: Posted on Friday, April 20, 2012 8:51 AM
Mashable released this cool infographic today explaining how social media is changing how people get their news. A couple of highlights for you:
- More than 50 percent of people have heard about a breaking news story via social media vs. traditional news sources
- As of 2012, online news ad revenue has surpassed print revenue for the first time
- Facebook (not Twitter) is the strongest sharing source for news content (59.5% of people cite FB as their primary news source)
And here’s a good one too:
- 49.1% of people heard a breaking news story on social media that turned out to be FALSE.
What does it all mean for you?
- First, if you’re trying to make news, make sure social media plays a part in that strategy
- Second, make sure you’re monitoring all appropriate social media channels re: your brand because false news spreads too and can be damaging to your reputation if left unchecked
- Third, enjoy the pretty infographic here from Mashable!
And if you need help with your brand’s social media and/or public relations, strategy, let us know!